Friday, March 13, 2015

Our First Ducks - Tugging on my Heartstrings


When we bought our first chicks, I never thought I could fall in love with a little animal anymore than I did last spring. Boy was I wrong! We went to Tractor Supply to pick up some dog food, and wouldn't you know it? They had some Pekin ducklings. I have fond memories of owning ducks as a young girl (aside from them all getting ran over once the highway was paved) and couldn't help but giving my boyfriend the puppy dog eyes until he said to get a couple! Yay!!

Despite all of the fond memories of raising ducks, I somehow forgot how dog-like they are. As I was reading the paper that came with the ducks, I laughed out loud. It literally said not to snuggle your ducks. Impossible!! I will risk getting salmonella if it means getting nestled into by the cutest little ducklings I've ever laid eyes on.They quickly imprinted on me, thinking I was their mom, calling for me and following me around everywhere. I was wrapped around their tiny wings in no time! Swoon!!

I have been photographing them everyday. They are quickly approaching their "awkward stage" as I like to call it. It's where their bills seem too long and they just look all around awkward. I swear they double in size everyday. I miss my tiny babies, but look forward to finding out their gender and seeing them blossom into big, beautiful white Pekins.







No comments:

Post a Comment