Sunday, March 15, 2015

Definitely NOT a hen..


Today was like any other day. I woke up, took the dogs out, gave the ducklings a swim, and proceeded to care for the chickens. It has been raining like CRAZY here, and being near Houston during a downpour equates to a lot of flooding. We actually had a flash flood warning! Despite the weather app on my ipad saying this week would be full of dry, sunny skies, the clouds had to have it their way.

We are in the process of building up our property, and have to start off with the chicken coop and yard area. Our poor hens are SO mad at me. They will venture out of the comfort of their coop to forage for awhile before putting themselves in early. So with the chicken yard empty, I decided to let the teenagers (5 month olds) out in the Big Girl Pen for awhile. They have a separate pen that's attached to the larger one so that the hens will get used to them before we combine the flock. 

As I was taking them one at a time to the big girl pen, I heard a rooster crow! It was too loud to belong to a neighboring farmstead, so I went to check it out. It was Dawkins!! My Barred Easter Egger. He is gorgeous, and finally became a man (or should I say Rooster) today! Yay!! Enjoy some photos of him and our other Easter Eggers. Out of the 5 I bought from an add on Craigslist, 3 of them are males. Bummer!












 ^My favorite little pair of Easter Eggers: Stevie Chicks and Lindsay Cluckingham <3

Miss Stevie's fluffy butt finally feathering out!




 Lindsay giving the stink eye to his arch nemesis. 






No comments:

Post a Comment